Sunday, August 14, 2016

First Lifestyle 365: Citric Designs!

Hello, my sumer flowers!



Whilst wading through a stream of Facebook posts, I came across a page that I followed quite bait of time ago: Lace a la Mode's 365 Lifestyle Lolita Challenge! Her challenge's purpose is to prompt Lolitas to take part in certain ladylike and lolitalike activities, to add a boost of lifestyle to our lives. It is a given that this suits my taste like a tailored glove, so I've decided to select whichever prompts I feel I'd enjoy and work on them! I think this may really help me as a start-up of sorts. 

Today I am tasked with #211,and my drink of choice is the Citrus Cooler, but it is not the usual Citrus Cooler cocktail that you receive from a google search (especially not the Gatorade)! It has the same name, but is a non-alcoholic drink from a local restaurant I enjoy very much. Inside it is ginger, lemon, lime, grapefruit, orange, sugar, mint, and sparkling water! It has a gradient ginger-yellow to orange colour, and is perfectly sweet, sour, and refreshing.

I wanted the coord to have a fresh, summery, and whimsical vibe, and chose a muslin peach-gradient Chemise á la Reine. The dress can be easily replaced by something like Atelier Pierrot's Cantata or Trianon OP's, but I chose not to go with either of them because chiffon does not breathe as well as muslin or gauze, and I felt like that took away from the summer freshness and ease of movement.

The accessories are very cute and fruity, with heart-shaped sunglasses that resemble the drink's colour, and citric hair clips (I am glad to have found all the fruits inside the drink in a hair clip form!). I could not find mint leaves, so regular green sprout hair clips add a light-hearted feel to the look. All in all, I really enjoyed this prompt, and will definitely be doing this more times. 
What do you guys think about it? I'd be delighted to hear your opinions!



4 comments:

  1. I never knew that muslin is more breathable than chiffon. I wonder if there are any muslin blouses out there, because I have found myself feeling a bit stuffy in my chiffon blouses, even though I love them a lot.
    You definitely achieved your purpose of creating a citrusy summer coordinate, this is perfect and looks so elegant. I'd love to own a dress like this (though maybe more in blues or reds, to match the rest of my wardrobe better ^^"). Absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Since most modern chiffon is made of polyester it doesn't breathe as well as natural fabrics, even if it is thin and soft (muslin is made from cotton). There is also pure silk chiffon, which I think should be more breathable, but I don't know if Lolita brands use it. There are muslin blouses out there, but the fabric seem to be more popular with bohemian styles, so I don't know about Lolita blouses.

      Delete
    2. This is 100% useful knowledge, I'm going to try to pay more attention to this when buying blouses from now on. Though most of mine are from Taobao (or rather: all my chiffon ones are from Taobao) and they're definitely the polyester chiffon. But some bohemian style blouses could work for Lolita, so it's definitely worth a browse!

      Delete
    3. Glad to help! I feel you might have better luck with searching for vintage items. As I learned, any other plant fiber fabric should also be breathable, to varying degrees, like soft cotton organdy (I seem to be a fan of cottons myself).

      Delete