Thursday, September 24, 2020

Keep Your Shoes On

 I hope someday

You grow yourself a better man.

Your voice hit me harder than hands ever can.


You'll never feel

how the earth under bare feet, is kind.

An open voice on a rolling hill, nowhere I step is out of line.


Carry your bones,

I'll cary mine. They're inside

my body, light. Keep your wings, they cannot swim with the tide.


Angels in the ocean,

are as meant to be as you and I,

You know I loved you, but you'd never swim with pride.


Keep your shoes on,

gardener. Your anemones and mine

are different. Hillside flowers won't bloom in the sand.


I don't need to grow

a garden beneath the sea. I take it

as it comes, as it sways beneath the waves and eats away at the rocks.


Yes my heart is full

of your memory and our sobbing. Yet

it's my space to mourn, I'll let the waves call loud, to wash away the dread.


The sealight sings me a lullaby, my spirit clinging to her tune.

Her voice speaks love, and her touch is mild.

I've been sleeping in her arms ever since I was a child.


Keep your bare feet covered, gardener.

 I will stroll away in mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment