Sunday, August 16, 2020

Susan's Letters – To my first ever beloved

 I've only written to you once,

and the poems began long after you'd left.

But today I read of Emily's beloved,

and I wondered: "have I ever–

or will I ever–love as strongly?"


And the thought of you came to my mind.

I did not love you as strongly,

and did not love you for as long.

But you were there, ever-blooming summer,

before my letters to love had even begun.


And as I reminisce of a lover lost to summer,

or perhaps mourn a summer lost to love,

I remember you and I am grateful.

The glare of unruly salt, sweat, and laughter, 

to whom Apollo's shine could not ever compare.


I smile all the smiles you gave me, 

clean the cuts and scrapes of my knees you'd mend.

I'll disinfect the wound as you taught me,

and feel the sun on my skin through the clouds.

And the thought of you heals me as I move forward.


To my dearest, once-best-friend.

Your happiness is mine too.

You, who made love sunflowers.


No comments:

Post a Comment